Age Minimum (with Adult): 18+, Minimum Age:13+
Help Census Spread the Word!
Did you know that Census Day was April 1, and just a little over 60% of all households in the Bay Area have responded? Moreover, in addition to vulnerable community members, communities that are NOT considered “hard-to-count” have also been undercounted due to the onset of COVID-19. Fortunately, it’s not too late to complete the census, and with your help we can get that message out.
The census is easy to complete in just 10 minutes from home: online, by phone, or by mail. It is a nonpartisan and nonpolitical process that is all about inclusion!
- Host a 30-minute virtual “Lunch & Learn” for your company. UWBA will share about local COVID-19 relief efforts as well as local census efforts. Let’s make sure everyone in your company knows to get counted in the census and how else they can help their community. (Limit: 5 slots in May & June)
- How it works: You can host or we’re happy to on Zoom. Invite your colleagues, provide a quick introduction, and our speakers will present some slides and answer questions!
- Mail postcards to low-responding neighborhoods. UWBA will provide the postcards, postage, sample messages, and mailing addresses. If 100 volunteers take 10 minutes to write 10 postcards each, we can reach 1,000 households in no time! (Limit: 100 slots in May & June)
- How it works: We’ll mail each volunteer a packet including 10 postcards, stamps, addresses, and instructions. Have people write and send independently or host a virtual postcard writing party!
- Phone bank. In lieu of door-to-door canvassing, we are calling our neighbors in low-responding areas and encouraging them to take the census via a virtual phone bank. Phone numbers, scripts, call software, and training all provided. Bilingual volunteers encouraged! (Limit: 50 slots in May & June).
- How it works: We’ll email phone banker materials in advance and then provide a 30-minute virtual training on Zoom. You can make calls independently or we can organize a virtual phone bank.
Help support a complete and accurate count of our communities during COVID-19! Census 2020 is still happening, and it is more important than ever that everyone is included. We're lookinging for a variety of volunteers. Volunteer to host a lunch & learn, mail postcards, or call your neighbors. Please designate which option is best for you.
The 2020 Census is our once-in-a-decade chance to ensure every community member is included in the funding and policy decisions that impact our daily lives. Federal resources for healthcare, free/reduced school lunches, housing, and social services are all allocated in part by the census count. Public health research and business decisions rely on a complete and accurate snapshot of our communities.
United Way Bay Area’s Role
United Way Bay Area (UWBA) is one of ten “Administrative Community Based Organizations” (ACBOs) for the State of California’s Complete Count efforts. It leads a $3.5M regional census outreach initiative called Bay Area Counts 2020 which involves grantmaking, regional coordination, data stewardship, and technical assistance to hundreds of nonprofit, philanthropic, business, labor, and government partners. Together, they are working to ensure every person in Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, and Solano Counties is counted in the 2020 Census.
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: