EKS/VITA - Tax Coach Volunteer (for DIY-Taxes over Zoom)
To all of our tax volunteers--
If you volunteered at a one of our tax sites last year or in a previous year, please prioritize helping out at that site!
If your VITA site will temporarily be closed for the upcoming tax season OR if you simply want to help out an additional site, consider helping out with our online operation through Zoom!
All volunteering with the UWBA Zoom team will be remote. We will provide more specific training to all GetYourRefund volunteers in late-January.
This specific role of Tax Coach Volunteer will involve you helping taxpayers complete their tax return in the do-it-yourself version of TaxSlayer (also known as TaxSlayer FSA or Facilitated Self Assistance). Your role will be to help the taxpayer along as they work on preparing and e-filing their own return. Training will be provided.
Requirements for the Tax Coach Volunteer role:
- Must have completed at least one of the following IRS VITA certifications (Advanced, Qualified Experienced Volunteer, or Circular 230 for Tax Professionals).
- New as well as experienced / returning volunteers to the VITA program are encouraged to participate!
- Must be able to volunteer for one 2-4 hour shift/event during the season. If you can do more, great. Event dates will be set in January and we will be planning to do one each week or every other week based on volunteer availability from February through April 15th. (If most of the volunteers say they're available on the weekend, we will do more weekend events, in addition to hosting a few weekday and evening ones.)
- Great with people and customer service.
- Must be comfortable using technology, a computer, and the internet.
- Must have a computer at home with internet access and be able to follow set privacy/confidentiality/security guidelines.
- Computer must have a microphone (internal OR external - both are acceptable).
Helpful but not required:
- Can speak a second language (like Spanish, Vietnamese, Mandarin, Cantonese, Russian, Farsi)
- You have additional VITA certifications (like Foreign Student).